The Next Step Blog

Thoughts and news from a small domestic violence prevention project in rural Maine.

Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Letter from Senator Collins

Dear Ms. Linder:

Thank you for contacting me on behalf of The Next Step Domestic Violence Project of Washington and Hancock Counties to share your support of increased funding for domestic violence programs such as those provided for by the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA), Victims of Crime Act (VOCA) Fund, and Family Violence Prevention and Services Act (FVPSA). I appreciate your taking the time to do so, and thank you for the invaluable services that you and your organization provide to victims of domestic violence in Maine.
Women should be able to live and work without fear, and I share your support for critical programs designed to assist victims of crime and to prevent domestic violence and sexual assault. I was a cosponsor of VAWA III which was signed into law on January 5, 2006.
I am concerned that in addition to cutting funding to these programs, the President's fiscal year (FY) 2009 budget proposes consolidating all the VAWA programs through the Department of Justice budget into one competitive block grant. I do not think this is the best approach, and accordingly, in 2007 when the President also attempted to consolidate the programs, I wrote to members of the Senate Appropriations Committee requesting that they fully fund VAWA, oppose the rescinding of the remaining VOCA Funds, and reject the President=s block-grant approach for VAWA programs. Similar letters in support of these programs are currently being drafted and will be circulated soon. I will send you a copy of these letters when they are available.
Again, thank you for contacting me. I will continue to advocate for programs designed to prevent violence against women.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home